Artículo de Deborah Lawrenson "The Garden of Earthly Delights"

The Garden of Earthly Delights


              “I finally went blind when I was thirteen years old, and it was the loss of my sight that took me to places I might never have seen.”

Distortion of vision is a recurring theme in The Lantern, whether that is real or metaphorical blindness, or the fear and uncertainty of doubting what one sees. Visual illusions can be produced deliberately, as with a zoetrope, the cinematic cylinder that makes pictures appear to move, or the eyes can dissolve the world in common ways – by myopia, for example.

This mesmerizing abstract photograph is titled The Garden of Earthly Delights. It is by Leovi, a Spanish photographic artist whose work I have come to know and appreciate over the past few months. For me – though others may see very different images – there is a Pre-Raphaelite quality about this piece: rich Victorian stained glass windows; a silken flow of robes, draping into darkness. A woman is lying back in the top left quarter, and in the play of water and glassiness and light there are shades of Millais’ Ophelia drowned in the stream of flowers.

If the point of these abstracts is to induce a sense of infinite possibility in which the only boundary is the limit of the imagination, this one seems to me a perfect illustration of the imagination itself, and of the fearful distortions inherent in loss of sight. Because part of the draw of this picture is a powerful frisson of the unknown. Who has not, at some point, experienced a visual disturbance – whether an unexpected trick of the light, or a blind spot caused by staring too intently at a light or fixed point – and feared that something was wrong, that the effect might be permanent?

And here that is (though again, perhaps only to me, with my particular preoccupation) distilled into this beautiful but treacherous scene, with its underwater quality, cut off from salvation, as the river weeds wave and the world above of air and light is slipping away. 


The second abstract makes me think of amber, and vintage perfume bottles from the Art Deco era; the possibilities that this image, in a form of synaesthesia, somehow holds an opulent scent. The colours are warm and subtle, the kind of shades that compare with blushful fruit: peach and apricot, raspberry and plum. What does it depict? I don’t know. Leovi never tells us, though he does occasionally give titles.

But these pictures make us think, and the very act of staring into their essence relates to the loss of sight - the examination of objects ever closer to the eye to search for meaning.

For more superb abstract photography – and to let your own imagination fly – clickhere for Leovi’s blog, and here for The Garden of Earthly Delights in context with its companion pieces.

Deborah Lawrenson es escritora y periodista británica y este es el link para acceder a su interesante blog: 

Comentarios

Wendy ha dicho que…
He tenído que recuirrir al traductor, me quedé en el francés, pero bueno, he podído enterarme más o menos de lo que cuenta Gloria de ti.
Ella lo describe de forma tan maravillosa que se me ocurre poco más que añadir, lo que está claro es que cada una de tus obras son fuente de inspiración, te cuelas y puedes soñar y sentir.
Enhorabuena por este reconocimiento tan merecido.
Besos.
Sabine Gimm ha dicho que…
This are very great impressions.
Greetings Sabine
Cindy ha dicho que…
Very Interesting photographs! I enjoy your blog.
Cindy
Unknown ha dicho que…
Fantasticas fotografias!!Felicidades!
Gerardo G. C. ha dicho que…
Increíble tu blog Leovi, un saludo enorme =)





http://dibujosdegerardogc.blogspot.com/
La Petite Gallery ha dicho que…
You have hit the nail on the head in some of your discriptions.

The Mind can play tricks..
yvonne
Laura Eno ha dicho que…
Beautiful! Thank you for introducing me to an artist I wasn't familiar with and also thanks for joining my blog.
pseudosocióloga ha dicho que…
Justos y merecidos comentarios, yo me quedo en que las dos fotos de hoy son chulísimas.
Pétales de fée ha dicho que…
Este es un artículo muy interesante y bien merecido Leova caro! Su trabajo es tan personal e innovador que sí! Siempre es un placer venir todos los días para admirar cada nueva instantánea! Bravo a usted! Hermosa noche !
dianne ha dicho que…
I see many different images in your abstract photography. To view your photographs is a journey into colour, shapes, imagination, illusion and beauty.

Besos xoxoxo ♡
Miroelmundo ha dicho que…
Tienes un don especial... que despierta los sentidos de quienes nos sorprendemos de las maravillas de tus obras...

Un lujo cada trabajo tuyo, te felicito!
Abela ha dicho que…
Es cierto que si afinas la imaginación y la vista descubres una mujer yaciendo en un jardin...es lo que tiene tu fotografia que la tienes mirar con todos los sentidos. Un abrazo
Laura ha dicho que…
Enhorabuena, te lo mereces! Tus tomas son originales y bellas!
The Words Crafter ha dicho que…
The first one makes me think a gossamer veil is shielding the entrance to a mythical world, stunningly beautiful.

The second one has some of my favorite colors and shades and looks vintage, also very beautiful!
TexWisGirl ha dicho que…
Lovely praise for your work!
Blitz ha dicho que…
Delight is absolutely a word that comes to mind when I see these photos. Beatiful!! Love the colors and the light. Have a nice evening. Greetings from Norway:)
La sonrisa de Hiperion ha dicho que…
Lo bueno siempre triunfa....

Saludos y un abrazo.
Unknown ha dicho que…
I've seen her work - she's wonderful and has a great blog.
Thanks for the follow! (I'm not far from you - in Portugal :) )
Bom Domingo!
M Pax ha dicho que…
Wow, I love your photos. Nice to bump into you.
Kaya ha dicho que…
That was such a pleasure to read this post and look at your images. I feel that I am living in the world of colors, ideas and imagination. This is a fantastic world!!!!

These images are so beautiful!!!! And the title speaks for itself. Great title.

Leovi, I wish you all the best!!!!!!!!!

A hug.
alfonso ha dicho que…

· Leovi is a creative photographer. Glad to see your work in this interesting blog.

Al menos, eso creo y por eso lo escribí allí.

· un abrazo

CR & LMA
________________________________
·
Esmeralda ha dicho que…
Merecidos elogios te dedican!!
Felicidades.
No tengo esa capacidad de análisis tan profundo pero te diré que admiro tu obra y que disfruto descubriendo aquello que mis ojos me quieren mostrar.

Mucha suerte, te lo mereces.
Abraçades
Lorraine ha dicho que…
AS IT should, you are a genius, congratulations on this piece n YOUR fantastic art
. ha dicho que…
Lo mereces, espero que lo sepas y los disfrutes. Eres increíbles, bueno mi opinión ya la sabes, qué peaica soy :)
Besos
ANRAFERA ha dicho que…
Tus creativos e imaginativos trabajos bien se merecen este reconocimiento. Mis felicitaciones, Leovi. Saludos.
Ramón
Anónimo ha dicho que…
Bonjour leovi,très bel article pour de belles oeuvres; "le jardin des délices" me fait penser à ces vitraux que j'admirais dans les chapelles gasconnes sur le chemin de compostelle et qui vous aident à la méditation même si vous êtes athée comme je le suis; splendide,hasta pronto:thibault.
DIGITAL WORLD PAGES ARCHIVE ha dicho que…
I love Your photos...
josé luis ha dicho que…
Ya decía yo que este mundo tan creativo tuyo atrae y nos abre a otras percepciones que no dejan de sugerir otras realidades tan insospechadas. Pero ahí lucen. Y son reconocidas desde variadas latitudes. Happy day.

Saludos.
Anónimo ha dicho que…
The Garden of Earthly Delights.
There is no limit on imagination ...
You really are GREAT!
Beautiful.
Greetings
Carmela ha dicho que…
Felicidades!!!! Leovi, por este merecido reconocimiento. Me perdí un poco en lo que comenta, pero máso menso lo seguí, y bueno poco podría añadir ahora.
Sabes que esta serie Z, es la que más me gusta (y si no lo sabes te lo digo ahora).
Me quedé colgada de la foto 1153, que me pareció desde que la ví,algo especial.
No me extraña que haya escogido una de esta serie.
Uff vaya rollete que te he metido, nada que enhorabuena y me alegro mucho por ti.
Un beso
carol ha dicho que…
What lovely artwork. Your blog is so cool. Thanks for stopping by my blog
Berit ha dicho que…
Your work is amazing.
Have a nice week.
Greetings from,
Berit.
Marisa ha dicho que…
I would like to see and not just watch
I would to smell
I would like to touch the kindness
to embrace the leaves newborn
I would that the world
was to the world
I wish I were a butterfly
to fly wherever it may pose
the tired wings
I wish I could, and perhaps
if I just keep on dreaming ..
Have a great week my friend, kiss
nostalgia ha dicho que…
Hola leovi,mi traductor en Español,no va.Con el francés,
me defiendo un poco, y de algo me he enterado.Muchas felicidades,me alegro mucho.Besos
Olga Ricci ha dicho que…
Felicitaciones por el reconocimiento Leovi! Muy merecido por cierto!
Esta nueva imagen me hace imaginar siluetas coloridas, sensuales,sutiles...
Que maravilla logras con tus abstractos...abres la imaginación de quien mira tu obra.
Saludos australes, amigo!
Crystal ha dicho que…
Just amazing artistic vision! :-)
Anónimo ha dicho que…
The first picture is probably one of the very best I've ever seen !


Please have a good new week.

daily athens
. ha dicho que…
woow!! qe bueno que hayan hecho un articulo sobre tu arte!! es bueno que más gente se entere del milagro que haces con un lente y la luz..

sigo enamorada..
de tus propuestas (=

y.. gracias x pasar x mi espacio
te dejo un link donde puedes
escuchar y conocer.. a:

patricio rey y sus redonditos de ricota son una banda de rock argentino, que ha revolucionado la musica x sus letras abstractas y su musica distinta.. te invito a conocerlos en ♥
http://www.mundoredondo1.com.ar



beso ;)
Janie ha dicho que…
Really liking your vivid colors and the abstract views of life here. I will definitely be back to visit.
Beatriz ha dicho que…
me parece un vestido de tul antiguo
con sus pliegues
que da el andar suave
Sill Scaroni Photography ha dicho que…
Muy interesante y lindos los efectos.
Saludos.
Sill
Lutje ha dicho que…
mooi met die betekenis erbij :o)
Claudia Lane ha dicho que…
Hi! your pics are truly amazing, love them! :))
Madeinja ha dicho que…
To prawda- Twoje fotografie pobudzają wyobraznie. Ja tez czesto patrzac na nie wracam do swojego dziecinnstwa, kiedy widzenie swiata jeszcze było niewypaczone logika i szkoła.
FrammentAria ha dicho que…
Deborah Lawrenson ha espresso con leggiadria il senso dell'astrazione nelle tue foto: sono focolai di immaginazione, embrioni di fantasia, idee da inventare.
brbulka.g ha dicho que…
Nice reading ...!!! Some things I feel a lot like ... :-)
magda ha dicho que…
Great work Leovi !!!!
Every your photo, it is a surprise!
Congratulations !!!
Un abrazo
Natalya Ntk ha dicho que…
There are things on which eye glides and goes, but there are things that bewitch! This - this thing!
la cocina de frabisa ha dicho que…
Me quedo con la primera, me parece bellísima, enhorabuena!
Janice Thomson ha dicho que…
I would say this is a very accurate and thorough analysis of your work Leovi. That you continue to share this work unconditionally with us is a feeling close to my own heart.
india flint ha dicho que…
thank you for stopping by my pages
-
beautiful images here...
Anónimo ha dicho que…
be happy and love. kiss

Entradas populares